Sunday, July 31, 2011

"I Open at the Close"

I'm a little bit appalled with myself over the fact that it has taken me this long to get this post up... my intention was to post it the day Deathly Hallows Part 2 was released, but things got totally craycray due to the whole "getting married the following day" bit. So, I decided to wait until today. Why? Because not only is it the famous Harry Potter's birthday today, but it's also the birthday of the lovely J.K. Rowling herself, and it seemed to be a fitting way to say "Happy Birthday!" and a good day to showcase this story that I have grown to love so much.

So, not to be Captain Obvious here or anything, but I think it's time I officially confess to you all that I have a bit of a thing for Harry Potter. Ok, OKAY, so maybe it's not so much of a "thing" as it is a... total and complete obsession? I'm totally outing myself here, but I am one of those folks that lined up for hours so they could be first in line at the midnight releases, one that has read each book multiple times (as well as listened to the audiobooks while painting way too many times to even keep track of), I am fairly certain that someone in my circle of friends has got some wonderfully drunk pictures of me dressed as Mr. Potter himself at a post-college Halloween party (it is also entirely possible that I kept my college graduation robe just incase I might end up needing any last minute Halloween costumes of the Hogwarts variety), and I could go on and on and on. So, when the fine folks over at Gallery Nucleus emailed me a year ago about participating in their Harry Potter Tribute Show, well, let me sum up my reaction by saying that I just about peed my pants.

"I Open at the Close"

I had already decided years ago (after finishing Book 7 for the first time, actually) that I would make this piece. The moments that transpire between Harry and his parents in the Forbidden Forest are at once so heartwarming and so completely heartbreaking, and there was never really any question of what part of the story I would choose to focus upon. (Though, really, I could fill an entire house with Potter pieces.... someone ask me to. please?) So, a big thank you to Gallery Nucleus for inviting me to participate in this show and giving me a reason to finally get this image out, and a monumental and heartfelt thank you to J.K. Rowling for giving the world Harry Potter in the first place. I know I'm just one among millions who feel that life is a bit better with all of these characters in it. :)

Oh and P.S. The show opening at Gallery Nucleus looks like it was a total blast (check out some images here), and it's definitely one that I wish I could have attended myself. You can check out all of the pieces that were on display here!

:)

6 comments:

  1. This piece gave me the chills. One day, I hope to make enough bank to commission you to make one for me!!! You are a talent beyond compare, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful interpretation! I absolutely love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. มันสวย และมีพลังมากๆ

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your work. I was doing research on illustration for my art class and when I saw your pieces I was amazed of what a person can do with her hands. Oh! And I happen to be an obsessive Potterhead :), so obviously I loved both of your Harry Potter-related paintings, specially this one, I think it captures the moment perfectly and it brings so many memories back :')

    ReplyDelete